Launched on Valentine’s Day 2012, the One Billion Rising movement expanded to 200 countries by 2014. It is evolving in 2015 into the One Billion Rising Revolution: “the biggest mass action in human history to end violence against women.”
- The call is for systemic change: “overhauling, challenging, and fighting” corrupt systems.
- The goal is justice “for all survivors of gender violence and the impunity that protects perpetrators...”
- The determination is to “create a new kind of consciousness – one where violence will be resisted until it is unthinkable.”
How can we get started?
- Be inspired by mass gatherings worldwide; see the panoramic YouTube video "One Billion Rising 2015 - La Rivoluzione."
- Sing with the music video "Break the Chain” (with captions on, to catch every word)!
- Learn the dance steps at "How to: Break the Chain Choreography" and introduce this brilliant activity to others. (The dancing expresses joy, community, and not being defeated by violence.) Also see “How to Dance ‘Break the Chain’ -- for the mobility compromised!”
- Check out the One Billion Rising Revolution website for more ideas. Don’t miss the toolkit, under “Resources.”
You can help too by passing this blogpost on to your friends. And do share with us what is inspiring you to stop violence against women and girls, and to promote peace instead!
Lily R.Wu and Alan Forsberg